Monday, June 1, 2015

A Quick Trip to Playa Del Carmen

This was my third trip to Mexico and the Riviera Maya, and yet I had never actually visited Playa del Carmen. For whatever reason I had this image of Playa being a place for the rich and famous, but had never actually checked it out for myself. So on this trip, The Lovely Spouse and I took the Colectivo from Gran Bahia Principe and spent an afternoon wandering around. The fare was around 35 pesos a person. Quinta Avenida, or Fifth Avenue, is the shopping and tourist district, and just a short walk from the Colectivo stop.

The Porta Maya sculpture.



A 24 hour McD's. Just in case you get the hankering for a Big Mac in the middle of the night.

The ferry to Cozumel.


Off in the distance, you can just see Cozumel.

Mayan Pole Flyers perform in the plaza. 








I don't get the Senior Frogs hype, but the original one is located here.





Starbucks really are everywhere.


Beautiful bottles of tequila...outside of our price range.






Gorgeous Mexican saddles. 


There's a lovely little Catholic church on the plaza.

A quiet place for contemplation or prayer.







Back at the Colectivo stop to head home. 
Playa del Carmen was a nice way to spend an afternoon.  I'm told that it gets very busy on rainy days when the options of entertainment are limited. There are, of course, many other things to do in Playa that I never addressed, including a resident Cirque du Soleil show, Joya, and the mega-nightclub Coco Bongo.

No comments:

Post a Comment