Monday, September 3, 2012

It's my party and I'll bake if I want to...

OK, I'll admit I didn't come up with that title. I found it on another blog, whose name I can't remember, while searching for things to bake for the ol' birthday. 

Lately all of my friends are on a low-carb and anti-dessert kick. Additionally our house rules involve an "if you want it you have to make it" rule when it comes to sweets. However as it was my birthday and I really wanted baked goods, I made my own desserts.  The Lovely Spouse hosted a small party for the occasion so I served them as well.  And people asked for the recipes so here they are.

The Salted Caramel Cupcakes came from Pass the Sushi.  I made no alterations to the recipe.  I'm guessing the cupcakes didn't rise because our baking powder was old.  However the caramel filling made them moist and chewy, in a good way.  I don't own a piping bag.  I just used a gallon sized zip lock bag, pushed the frosting to an end and cut the tip with a pair of kitchen scissors. 

The Preacher Cake came from Just a Pinch. This cake is one of those "throw everything in a pan, mix and bake" kinds of recipes.  I followed the instructions for the less sweet version using 1 cup of sugar instead of two and left the icing off.  I also used pecans instead of walnuts, because walnuts taste like soap. Believe it or not I found this by clicking a link off of facebook.  People tell me no one ever clicks through the ads there.  Well, I did. And the results were tasty.

The secret to The Lovely Spouse's super savory hamburgers:  vegemite.  On its own vegemite tastes like what I imagine salt would taste like if it could decompose.  But it's super savory and chock full of "umami" therefore it makes a good flavor enhancer.  Kind of like garum.

Thanks to everyone for making this birthday special.  I loved all the facebook well wishes as well as the visit from close, local friends.  Thanks, as well, for the birthday cards from my family back in my home state. 

<3 <3 <3 <3 all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment