Friday, September 7, 2012

T. Jin's China Diner


Believe it or not there is a fierce rivalry among foodies in the B/CS area as to which Chinese restaurant in the area is the best. There are those who will only eat at Jin's World Cafe.  Some will only eat at Chef Cao's.  Some swear that others are the best or most authentic there is in the are.  I, personally, adore T. Jin's China Diner and eat there regularly. If you click on the link you'll see there are 3 locations, with one in Bryan and one in College Station. This review is for the location along Rock Prairie in College Station.

I'm also going to state from the get-go that I don't know what is and isn't authentic as far as Chinese food is concerned. I've never been to China and it's a large country so I imagine there are regional differences in the food. I do know what I think tastes good.

On this latest trip to T. Jin's my group of three got soups and entrees.

A cup of hot and sour soup.  Well balanced and a great way to start a meal.  The soup manages to be both light and hearty at the same time.  Great mushroom flavor.
Chicken Fried Rice.  The Lovely Spouse orders it time and again so it must be to his liking. 
Szechuan Chicken. I love the balance of sweet and spicy.  Lots and lots of veggies.
Szechuan Eggplant.  Again this has the sweet and spicy mix, but here with all veggies.  I ate around the onions. 
The above, except the fried rice, were served with a choice of steamed (white) or fried (brown) rice for an additional fee. House specialties are also served with orange slices.

In addition to the above there are a few other entrees we gravitate towards including green beans and tofu (I like the flavor of tofu), Thai chicken and shrimp, moo shoo anything, Pad Thai, the dumplings on the appetizer menu and the meat of choice with veggies on the special healthy/light menu.  But really everything that has sounded good on the menu has been delicious there. All three of us made at least 2 meals out of the above.  If I order off the healthy menu I usually make three meals from a single entree.

The also have my favorite iced tea in B/CS.  I'm not sure what tea they're using but it has a nice, strong flavor. No sugar or cream needed.  They have beer and wine available as well.

The service has always been incredibly fast and for the most part very friendly.

Would we recommend T. Jin's?  Of course.  Again, I don't know if they're authentic or not, but I enjoy their food.

Will we be back?  Of course.  We eat here regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment