Monday, March 24, 2014

Houston Rodeo Find: Deep Fried Nutella

This year's mission at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was supposed to be deep fried Nutter Butters. I love peanut butter and I love Nutter Butters.  And deep fried makes everything better right?  And it's only a once a year kind of thing so it's okay if it's not perfectly healthy.

Where to find the goodness.  This was located in the carnival section of the rodeo.
Then I took a walk around the rodeo grounds and low and behold what did my wandering eye perceive?  Deep Fried Nutella.  SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Oh yes, yes I did.  And the results were nothing short of amazing. Amazeballs, as the cool kids used to say.  [I always find out what the cool kids say after it's no longer cool.]

As you can see it's a large fritter on a stick.  Filled with Nutella.
So how was the experience? The batter resembled a pancake batter wrapped around ooey, gooey Nutella.  I'm going to guess they froze Nutella, a chocolate hazelnut spread, in an ice cube tray (rectangular) with the stick on it, then dunked it in the batter and fried it. The stick is so they can retrieve the goodness from the oil.  When it's first served the entire thing is hot and the Nutella is like lava so I let it cool...a little bit...and dug in.

The inside is all Nutella goodness.  The powdered sugar was just for presentation.
And while I'm trying to eat healthier these days, truth be told, I'd totally do it again.  You have to indulge once in awhile, amirite?

I regret nothing.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has finished for this year but will return to Houston next March. I know what I'll be eating.  The deep fried Nutella was $7.50 and other options, such as the deep fried cookie dough The Lovely Spouse sampled were $6.

Note: a google search on deep fried Nutella yields a article about something with the same name served at the Texas State Fair and the caption of "Don't Eat This".  Reading the article it appears the creation served at the Texas State Fair was completely different from the one served at the Houston Rodeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment