Friday, September 26, 2014

Black Bottle Brewery

I recently went on a business trip to Fort Collins, Colorado.  It was really nice to get out of Texas for a few days during the heat of the summer and see some mountains.  And some really good work got done as well.  I didn't have a lot of down time, but when I had a spare moment I visited one of the many breweries in the city.


Black Bottle Brewery (must be 21 to enter website) is actually a brew pub.  They have a small brewery and the tap room features their own beers, other craft beers, and some pretty good food (I recommend the Angry Hawaiian Pizza).   If I had more time I would have sampled more of their beers and visited other breweries in the area.


This is the beer list.  It includes what they have in bottles and on draft.
These are people who seriously love craft beer.  Their own (in the black bottles, natch) and others. 
They might be serious about beer, but they don't take themselves too seriously.  As evidenced by their squirrel tableaus.
Drinky the Squirrel. With some rather awesome growlers.
Mustaches. Because why not?
I had a few of their sample pours.  Altogether I believe it was the same volume as a 12 oz beer. The thing to be aware of with their beers is that some are so smooth and easy-drinking that it's easy to forget they're alcoholic.  Some pack quite an ABV punch at 9-11%. Not pictured: Liquid Metal was a standout as incredibly smooth and malty with a great balance. If I had more time I would have gone back for more.  
I was there on a slow night, however there are plenty of tables and service for some good eats. The aforementioned Angry Hawaiian Pizza was a delicious take on the classic Hawaiian pizza.  Ham, cheese, barbecue sauce, and fresh jalapenos on a thin and crispy crust. Half pizzas available for single diners. Full pizzas for large appetites or groups.
The Last Call Gong.  And, yes, they really use it to signal last call.  Which comes early during the week.  Most places, including Black Bottle, close at 10 pm on weekdays.
Located across the street from Colorado State University and within walking distance to hotels, I recommend Black Bottle Brewery for both food and drinks for beer geeks. I hope to visit again someday.

Fun fact: when you're sitting at the bar you are sitting on top of the brewery cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment