Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cafe Eccell Revisited

Has it really been since September since I've posted here?  The reasons are many.  I got busy at work, I went on some travel, and destroyed my camera at a cantina in Mexico.  Really.  However I've been eating around and have content to catch up on so I'll do my best to keep things going and hopefully make the wait worthwhile.  I've got 2 new cameras now and am still figuring out how to use them. My previous, a Sony point and shoot purchased at the last minute at Sam's Club had no "extra features".  My new ones, an "indestructible" Olympus and a dSLR Olympus have so many bells and whistles they can practically take the pictures for me. I expect they could also prep my food and wash the dishes if I find the right setting.

Some of the big news for College Station right now is on going saga of Cafe Eccell.  A developer bought the land upon which they sit and there's been drama.  You can read about it here, here, here, and here. I'm not going to take sides because...I'm not. However the last headline "Cafe Eccell still taking reservations" caught the eye of a friend of mine.  So 3 days after their lease ended we decided to visit the restaurant for lunch.  Because why not?

As I previously posted Cafe Eccell switched to their lunch menu all day.  Therefore we knew what to expect.  I ordered one of their lovely pizzas, the margarita, and saved room for perhaps the best item on the menu: the strawberry tart. The Lovely Spouse joined us and got the chocolate amaretto mousse bombe.  For lunch it was lovely, albeit quite expensive considering all the other places for such food available in College Station.



We weren't the only ones with this idea.

Pizza Margarita. A simple but lovely combination of yeast risen dough, fresh basil, fresh tomatoes and fresh mozarella cheese with high quality olive oil.

Chocolate amaretto mousse bombe.

Yum! Strawberry tart.  Apricot glazed strawberries over a very light Bavarian creme in a cinnamon graham cracker shell.  There's a dollop of dark chocolate at the bottom for extra decadence. 

These windows are a distinctive part of the building.

The pizza oven. If they move, I hope the oven makes the move with them.




What's going to happen with Cafe Eccell? And what will happen with their other restaurant, La Bodega? I'm not one of the owners so I can't answer that.  I feel for the staff.  It must be rough taking things one day at a time and not knowing if you'll have a job tomorrow.  If you go during this time of uncertainty please tip them well.

Update, added on 2/28/2014: Cafe Eccell and the developer with whom they were in dispute have come to an agreement and the restaurant will close in March 2014.  They are currently seeking a new location.

No comments:

Post a Comment