Friday, April 6, 2012

Dining in Akumal Mexico: Turtle Bay Bakery and Cuevo del Pescador

So, yea, I've taken a bit of a break from blogging for the last few weeks.  I spent a week with my folks and The Lovely Spouse in Mexico, then the folks visited us for a week, then I've been catching up with school and work.  Now I'm back and, of course, posting on the wonderful eats from Mexico.  We stayed at an all-inclusive resort between Akumal and Tulum on the Eastern side of the Yucatan Penisula.  I had never been to an all-inclusive, or to Mexico, before.  I'll be posting more on the resort in a later resort.

Today I'll start you all off with the fabulousness that is Akumal.  We were there in March so the weather was amazing.  Highs in the 80s.  Lows in the 70s.  Sunny every day.


At one point we took a taxi from our resort to Akumal Playa, or Akumal Beach.  First order of business for the day was breakfast.  Based on Trip Advisor reviews I decided on Turtle Bay Cafe and Bakery.


As you can see everything is very casual.


Very casual. And I kind of like this picture. :-)


I ordered a breakfast, whose name I can't remember.  It was poached eggs with ranch style potatoes, tomatoes, avocado, peppers and onions.  Of course I ate around the onions. It really was as delicious as it looked.


Next we hit the beach and snorkeled for a few hours. The reef was gorgeous.  We saw all kinds of fish, corrals, urchins and such, as well as lots of sea turtles. (Photo courtesy of The Lovely Spouse)


After swimming around headed out for lunch to the place next door to Turtle Bay: Cuevo del Pescador.  Obviously they specialize in fish. 


Again this was a casual open dining place.


We had our first chips and salsa in Mexico.  Chunky salsa with thick chips.  I'm kind of used to the ultra thin chips they have here in Texas. 


I ordered the ceviche and let me just say it was even more fabulous than it looks.  This was a mix of fish, squid, octopus, and shrimp.  And all 100% delicous.  Ceviche is fish cooked by using a strong acid. Most places, including this restaurant, use citrus juice.  The result is that fish that might normally be rubbery when cooked end up tender and juicy. And the citrus imparts a wonderful flavor.


The rest of my group got the fish tacos, which weren't nearly as delicious.  Always get the local specialties and/or the specialty of the house.


Here's hoping we'll be back at some point in the near future.  I'd love to spend at least another few more hours snorkeling on that reef. [Heh, that's my bum. Photo courtesy of The Lovely Spouse.]

No comments:

Post a Comment